Green officials discuss road projects with business reps
GREEN — The city of Green’s Engineering Department held its first of two meetings March 1 at the Central Administration Building (CAB) to inform business owners in the South Arlington Road construction area what the second season of the project will entail.
City Engineer Paul Pickett; construction manager David Hart, of Municipal Service Group; and Tom Kelly, senior project engineer with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), reviewed the project scope, discussed the sequence of construction and conveyed to business owners what they could expect during the next three phases of the project, anticipated for completion by early October.
Pickett reminded the approximately 20 people in attendance that the South Arlington Road and state Route 619/Turkeyfoot Lake Road intersection improvement project was completed using two federal grants to address safety concerns and traffic congestion. He added ODOT is managing the project and Wenger Excavating is serving as the contractor.
The first season of the project included the widening of the South Arlington Road and the state Route 619 intersection in 2010, Pickett said.
He told business owners they visibly would see season two begin in full swing this month. He explained Jarvis Road soon would be closed for about three weeks in order to connect to Arlington Ridge. During construction, Jarvis Road traffic would be detoured to Moore and Cottage Grove roads, Pickett said.
As Jarvis Road is expanded, the west side of South Arlington Road will be widened while traffic is maintained. Pickett said this will include the construction of the Moore Road intersection, which will require about a month-long detour for Moore Road traffic.
The 2011 construction season also will include the widening of the east side of South Arlington Road, installation of pavement markings and signing, and laying down of the final pavement.
Hart, hired by Green to serve as a liaison between business owners and project heads, told business owners he would help get them through the construction period with the least amount of inconvenience as possible.
He said businesses could expect at least one driveway access at all times and signage directing motorists onto their sites. He said he would work to ensure that business could continue operating during evening hours to ensure smooth truck deliveries and costumer traffic flow.
Kelly praised Hart and the city of Green for how well the project has run and said he will continue to keep businesses in the loop.
Valerie Wolford, Green communications coordinator, said Mayor Dick Norton wants each business owner to have a personal connection to the project, so Hart is available daily to answer questions and solve conflicts.
“It is above and beyond what other communities do,” she said. “The city truly cherishes every business here.”
Business representatives at the meeting did not voice too many concerns about the project, and several expressed their appreciation for the information and efforts to keep their businesses running smoothly during construction.
A second similar meeting for business owners will take place March 10 at 7:30 a.m. in Council Chambers at the CAB, 1755 Town Park Blvd.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017
- Akron Symphony: Beethoven’s Ninth - 1/21/2017
- The Resurrection of Stevie Ray Vaughan starring Billy Evanochko - 1/21/2017
- Barbara Knight Trio; East of Seattle - 1/21/2017
- Black Romance Necklace - 1/21/2017