LifeStyles opening in Green
|The Akron General Medical Center’s LifeStyles facility, shown above, will open to the public July 9.|
|The facility will offer amenities such as group exercise rooms; a basketball and volleyball court area, shown below; a three-lane track, shown above; four pools; a weight-lifting area; fitness room with 200 pieces; and a variety of programing.|
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
The LifeStyles facility, located opposite Town Park Center off Massillon Road at 1940 Town Park Blvd., will offer medically supervised exercise and membership programs, along with a Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy Center, according to membership Manager Joanne Zaratsian.
“This facility has a country club feel to it, and it is designed to help our members prevent illness by developing a healthy lifestyle,” said Zaratsian.
The 100,000-square-foot facility includes a recreational pool; a 25-yard, six-lane lap pool; a whirlpool; and a warm water therapy pool, as well as various aquatic classes. The facility also includes an exercise floor with 200 pieces of equipment, most with TVs; a three-lane track; weight-lifting area; midsize basketball court and volleyball room; two group exercise rooms that will offer classes such as Zumba, yoga, pilates, cardio, strength and cycling; locker rooms; a sauna and steam room; rock wall; and a children’s babysitting area for children ages 6 weeks to 13 years old filled with activities, including nonweight-bearing exercise equipment that promotes healthy lifestyles from a young age, according to LifeStyles officials.
“This is not a gym or rec center; it is a medically oriented fitness center,” said Zaratsian. “It incorporates exercise and overall health and wellness through classes on a variety of health-related topics.”
Zaratsian said members at the facility begin with a one-hour assessment conducted by an exercise physiologist who will help each person build a personal “exercise prescription.”
Registered dieticians also will accept 24-hour food intake records from members for review and provide dietary recommendations to improve overall nutrition.
“Exercise specialists can also work with our physical therapists at the facility to meet the goals of members in need of more help,” said Zaratsian.
She added the LifeStyles program is geared to produce results and is updated regularly.
The facility also offers the Healthy LifeStyle Educational Lecture Series, a monthly seminar on topics dealing with nutrition, fitness and recipes, which is free to members, as well as a monthly, 90-minute permanent weight loss seminar, which is open to the general public for a cost of $47.
Recreational programing and specialty camps for children also will be offered at LifeStyles. In addition, there are two conference rooms with a kitchen that can be used for a variety of events.
For a virtual tour of the facility, visit www.akrongeneral.org/lifestyles.
LifeStyles has various membership rates available, and members can use the two other LifeStyles locations in Bath and Stow. Up until July 9, officials are offering 45 percent off the one-time enrollment fee.
LifeStyles in Green will present a VIP dedication ceremony for its new facility July 7 from 5 to 7 p.m., with the program beginning at 6 p.m. Akron General President and CEO Dr. Thomas Stover and Green Mayor Dick Norton will speak, and there will be a balloon drop, according to organizers.
In addition, a community open house will take place July 21 from 9 a.m. to noon. The public will be able to see the facility, and food and prizes will be offered.
According to LifeStyles officials, LifeStyles is the second phase of the Akron General Health & Wellness complex in Green. The complex includes an emergency department that opened March 19 offering 24-hour services, radiology and lab services and a Reflections Breast Health Center. A third phase will include a three-story physicians’ office building that will open next year.
To contact LifeStyles in Green, call 330-896-5000.
More Community News
- Council discusses Montrose traffic upgrade
- Tree festival puts spotlight on season
- Akron Council mulls moving election of officers
- Seasonal volunteer opportunities abound in area
- Ronald McDonald House set to grow
- Holiday décor sparkles at tree festival
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley trustees award building replacement bidq
- VFW Post 349 recognizes veteran support groups at dinner
- IRS recommends reviewing tax status now
- Richfield Council adds historic overlay district to zoning code
- BBB offering shopping, giving advice
- Richfield trustees preparing for move into new building
- ADM Board honors trailblazers
- Akron RubberDucks helps to feed hungry, homeless
- West Akron Baseball League volunteers clean up yards
- New Franklin accepted into SWSCOG
- Pokorny family savors special Thanksgiving
- Green Council OKs finance items
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron Council mulls moving election of officers
- County Council learns of upcoming road projects
Calendar of Events
- Author Fran Wilde - 11/28/2015
- “Nutcracker” - 11/28/2015
- American Indians of Sand Run - 11/28/2015
- Movie Matinee - 11/28/2015
- Indoor Snow Day - 11/28/2015