Sharon resident raises money for children with special needs
At the Sharon Board of Trustees meeting Sept. 10, Mark Funfgeld, of the Sharon Township Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), thanked the trustees for the use of the township’s chairs and tables for a fundraiser held at his Fixler Road residence Aug. 10 in memory of his son Nicholas, who died this past November.
Funfgeld said the fundraiser, called “Nickified,” consisted of a dinner and a silent auction. He said the event raised close to $20,000, which will go to benefit families of children with special needs. He said up to 212 people attended the fundraiser.
In other business:
- Fiscal Officer Anita Haas said all department heads and the trustees will receive a notice of market place healthcare coverage with their paychecks. She said this notice is in anticipation of the Affordable Care Act, which will take effect Jan. 1.
- Trustee Brian Guccion reported the pavement project in the Signature of Sharon development has started, but he is expecting a call for an extension. He said the original deadline for the project was scheduled for Sept. 15, but some repairs may be added to the project. He said the contractors could pay up to $1,000 per day after Sept. 15 if the project is extended.
Guccion addressed letters from residents on Northview Drive regarding recommendations for solving the problem of water cascading from High View Drive to Northview Drive and causing damage to drainage ditches and driveways.
He also discussed water problems from heavy rains on Beach Road. After talking with homeowners on Beach Road, he said there are plans for the Service Department to change seven culverts on the street — four on the east side and three on the west side.
Guccion said no paving will be done on Beach Road as of right now, but said in the future some paving and tree removals will need to be done.
- Service Director Bob Turek said he will attend the Medina County Engineer’s Office meeting today, Sept. 19.
- Fire Chief Robert Haas said he plans on replacing the batteries of the township’s automated external defibrillators.
- Zoning Inspector Neil Jones announced the BZA meeting that was originally scheduled for Sept. 11 was rescheduled for Sept. 18 due to a lack of quorum.
Jones also reported the BZA approved Flight Services of Medina to construct a new hangar at Medina Municipal Airport. He asked the trustees if they would waive the application fee for the hangar, to which the trustees replied “no.”
Jones also said permits for one single-family home and two accessory buildings were issued since the last meeting.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following items:
√ the transfer of $1,500 from the township’s capital outlay to the township’s utilities fund;
√ the transfer of $20,000 from the capital improvements fund to the insurance and bonding fund; and
√ a motion to hire Bay Pointe Technology consultant Joe Ciborek to consult with the Medina County Port Authority for the replacement of a fiber optic node for an amount not to exceed $500.
The next Sharon Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014