Sharon resident raises money for children with special needs
At the Sharon Board of Trustees meeting Sept. 10, Mark Funfgeld, of the Sharon Township Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), thanked the trustees for the use of the township’s chairs and tables for a fundraiser held at his Fixler Road residence Aug. 10 in memory of his son Nicholas, who died this past November.
Funfgeld said the fundraiser, called “Nickified,” consisted of a dinner and a silent auction. He said the event raised close to $20,000, which will go to benefit families of children with special needs. He said up to 212 people attended the fundraiser.
In other business:
- Fiscal Officer Anita Haas said all department heads and the trustees will receive a notice of market place healthcare coverage with their paychecks. She said this notice is in anticipation of the Affordable Care Act, which will take effect Jan. 1.
- Trustee Brian Guccion reported the pavement project in the Signature of Sharon development has started, but he is expecting a call for an extension. He said the original deadline for the project was scheduled for Sept. 15, but some repairs may be added to the project. He said the contractors could pay up to $1,000 per day after Sept. 15 if the project is extended.
Guccion addressed letters from residents on Northview Drive regarding recommendations for solving the problem of water cascading from High View Drive to Northview Drive and causing damage to drainage ditches and driveways.
He also discussed water problems from heavy rains on Beach Road. After talking with homeowners on Beach Road, he said there are plans for the Service Department to change seven culverts on the street — four on the east side and three on the west side.
Guccion said no paving will be done on Beach Road as of right now, but said in the future some paving and tree removals will need to be done.
- Service Director Bob Turek said he will attend the Medina County Engineer’s Office meeting today, Sept. 19.
- Fire Chief Robert Haas said he plans on replacing the batteries of the township’s automated external defibrillators.
- Zoning Inspector Neil Jones announced the BZA meeting that was originally scheduled for Sept. 11 was rescheduled for Sept. 18 due to a lack of quorum.
Jones also reported the BZA approved Flight Services of Medina to construct a new hangar at Medina Municipal Airport. He asked the trustees if they would waive the application fee for the hangar, to which the trustees replied “no.”
Jones also said permits for one single-family home and two accessory buildings were issued since the last meeting.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following items:
√ the transfer of $1,500 from the township’s capital outlay to the township’s utilities fund;
√ the transfer of $20,000 from the capital improvements fund to the insurance and bonding fund; and
√ a motion to hire Bay Pointe Technology consultant Joe Ciborek to consult with the Medina County Port Authority for the replacement of a fiber optic node for an amount not to exceed $500.
The next Sharon Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- Delegates, safety forces fill Cleveland
- Falls festival celebrates Italian style
- Akron getting new municipal courthouse
- Area delegates head to Democratic convention
- West Side News & Notes
- Bath trustees reject fact-finding report
- Boston trustees reviewing new police contract
- NAMI celebrates anniversary, awardees
- Zoning issues addressed by Sharon officials, residents
- Display highlights fight against cancer
- Good Neighbors grateful for new van
- Pirates share island fun
- Springfield seeking renewal of fire levy
- Coventry placing two levies on November ballot
- Trustees decline grant funds for bank stabilization project
- South Side News & Notes
- Resident says taxes too high in New Franklin
- Akron getting new municipal courthouse
- Local officials respond after spike in overdoses
- Area delegates heading to Democratic convention
Calendar of Events
- Neil Zurcher: The Best of One-Tank Trips - 7/26/2016
- Excel Basics - 7/26/2016
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 7/27/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Moises Borges Brazilian Jazz Band - 7/27/2016
- The Pop Tarts - 7/27/2016