Hospice of VNS hosts veterans celebration
|Photos courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
Copley American Legion Post No. 473 and Copley VFW Post No. 7971 Honor Guard members fired a 21-gun salute, shown above. There also was a bugler playing taps, and cadets from Garfield High School’s JROTC color guard participated.
Shown below, Dr. Ben Alvarez, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force (inactive), spoke about the significance of Veterans Day, celebrated Nov. 11, at the event. He is senior vice president of Physician Alignment and president of Akron General Partners Physician Group.
Sarah Lowry, Northeast Ohio regional representative of U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown’s (D-Ohio) office, welcomed guests and thanked veterans for their service. Dorothea Clarke, a resident of Akron, sang “America the Beautiful” and led the group in singing “God Bless America” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Jessi Baughman, from North Coast Pipe Band, also performed.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
Calendar of Events
- Play and Stay Friday - 1/20/2017
- 11th Annual Chili Challenge to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital’s Burn Unit - 1/20/2017
- Silly Fridays: Create Your Own Crystal Garden - 1/20/2017
- Homeschoolers: The Power of Poison: ages 11-14 - 1/20/2017
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017