Hospice of VNS hosts veterans celebration
|Photos courtesy of Akron General Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service|
Copley American Legion Post No. 473 and Copley VFW Post No. 7971 Honor Guard members fired a 21-gun salute, shown above. There also was a bugler playing taps, and cadets from Garfield High School’s JROTC color guard participated.
Shown below, Dr. Ben Alvarez, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force (inactive), spoke about the significance of Veterans Day, celebrated Nov. 11, at the event. He is senior vice president of Physician Alignment and president of Akron General Partners Physician Group.
Sarah Lowry, Northeast Ohio regional representative of U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown’s (D-Ohio) office, welcomed guests and thanked veterans for their service. Dorothea Clarke, a resident of Akron, sang “America the Beautiful” and led the group in singing “God Bless America” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Jessi Baughman, from North Coast Pipe Band, also performed.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Jayson Cross - 8/28/2014
- “Divergent” - 8/28/2014
- Mommy and Me - 8/28/2014
- 11th Annual Juried Fiber Arts Show - 8/29/2014
- Texas Hold’em Afternoon - 8/29/2014