Green honors veterans at annual ceremony
The service included a Presentation of the Colors by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard, shown above.
The event also had a raising of the flags ceremony, shown below, with U.S. Air Force 1st Reservist Doug Shepard, shown second from right. In addition, the Green Intermediate School Choir sang hymns.
World War II veteran Pete Keslar, 89, shown at right top, was the guest speaker at the service. Keslar, a U.S. Marine, was headed to Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, according to city officials. After the war, he returned home to the Akron area, worked for Acme and retired as its director of sales in 1991.
At the end of the service, city officials and others took time to thank veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces for their service. Shown at right bottom is Green Mayor Dick Norton shaking hands with Shepard, who is standing with his daughter, Selene. Refreshments were served afterward.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Sweet Smell of Success” - 7/31/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Sarah Schaefer and Rebekah Jean - 7/31/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: JD Eicher & The Goodnights - 7/31/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/31/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014