Green honors veterans at annual ceremony
The service included a Presentation of the Colors by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard, shown above.
The event also had a raising of the flags ceremony, shown below, with U.S. Air Force 1st Reservist Doug Shepard, shown second from right. In addition, the Green Intermediate School Choir sang hymns.
World War II veteran Pete Keslar, 89, shown at right top, was the guest speaker at the service. Keslar, a U.S. Marine, was headed to Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, according to city officials. After the war, he returned home to the Akron area, worked for Acme and retired as its director of sales in 1991.
At the end of the service, city officials and others took time to thank veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces for their service. Shown at right bottom is Green Mayor Dick Norton shaking hands with Shepard, who is standing with his daughter, Selene. Refreshments were served afterward.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014