Green honors veterans at annual ceremony
The service included a Presentation of the Colors by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard, shown above.
The event also had a raising of the flags ceremony, shown below, with U.S. Air Force 1st Reservist Doug Shepard, shown second from right. In addition, the Green Intermediate School Choir sang hymns.
World War II veteran Pete Keslar, 89, shown at right top, was the guest speaker at the service. Keslar, a U.S. Marine, was headed to Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, according to city officials. After the war, he returned home to the Akron area, worked for Acme and retired as its director of sales in 1991.
At the end of the service, city officials and others took time to thank veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces for their service. Shown at right bottom is Green Mayor Dick Norton shaking hands with Shepard, who is standing with his daughter, Selene. Refreshments were served afterward.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
- Council reviews rebids for Central Park
- Green celebrates Memorial Day
- New Franklin sinks idea for Tudor House dock
- Green assistant fire chief retiring
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015
- Yoga for Kids: ages 6-10 - 5/30/2015
- Archery Games for Kids: ages 9-12 - 5/30/2015
- Warm and Hot in Peninsula - 5/30/2015
- Doo Wop Legends in Concert - 5/30/2015