Green honors veterans at annual ceremony
The service included a Presentation of the Colors by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard, shown above.
The event also had a raising of the flags ceremony, shown below, with U.S. Air Force 1st Reservist Doug Shepard, shown second from right. In addition, the Green Intermediate School Choir sang hymns.
World War II veteran Pete Keslar, 89, shown at right top, was the guest speaker at the service. Keslar, a U.S. Marine, was headed to Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, according to city officials. After the war, he returned home to the Akron area, worked for Acme and retired as its director of sales in 1991.
At the end of the service, city officials and others took time to thank veterans and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces for their service. Shown at right bottom is Green Mayor Dick Norton shaking hands with Shepard, who is standing with his daughter, Selene. Refreshments were served afterward.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron mayor hints at future plans
- STVM rocketry students aiming for new heights
- Council disagrees on changing felon hiring policy
- Customers may get break on sewer fees
- Akron Urban League turns 90 this year
- West Side News & Notes
- City making plans to widen South Cleveland-Massillon Road
- Falls Council approves 2015 resurfacing program
- Norton Council discussing future pump station site
- Residents hope to overturn trustees’ approval of zoning change
- Richfield officials encourage help for Project Pride Cleanup
- Richfield trustees approve revised employee handbook
- Trustees introduced to new medication dispensing program
- Bath Elementary student’s cabbage earns him scholarship
Calendar of Events
- “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” - 3/26/2015
- Biohealth Micro-Art Show - 3/26/2015
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 3/26/2015
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015