JCC’s Family Wellness Expo offering healthy, family activities
|The Shaw Jewish Community Center Family Wellness Expo, shown above last year, will take place Jan. 26 and offer a variety of activities focused on health and fitness, including many fun activities for children, as shown below right.|
|Photos courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center|
This third annual event is set for Jan. 26 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Shaw JCC, 750 White Pond Drive, and will offer free interactive, family-oriented activities.
“These planned activities are focused on improving the quality of life for families,” said Stephanie Davis-Dieringer, interim executive director and health and wellness director for the Shaw JCC. “We hope these ideas will make a difference for them.”
According to event officials, the Shaw JCC’s Early Childhood Education program will feature activities in the spirit of the Discover CATCH: Early Childhood initiative, a program designed to nurture a love of physical activity, provide an introduction to classroom-based gardening and nutrition, and encourage healthy eating in young children. In this program, children also will learn about “Go, Slow and Whoa” foods, as well as healthy snacking. Also set to take place will be the “Rate My Plate Fun” activity, a parent vs. child challenge, as well as free sample massages.
“These activities and others are designed to energize families to experience health and wellness together and how to incorporate them into everyday life,” said Davis-Dieringer. “They aim to integrate healthy nutrition into everyday life and encourage physical fitness and recreational activities to combat child obesity.”
Families can also explore wellness through interactive and educational activities presented by area organizations that are partnering with the JCC to promote health. Davis-Dieringer said these organizations are working with the Shaw JCC to “mobilize residents to get active.”
“These activities will offer quality family time that also focuses on getting everyone away from watching too much TV during the winter,” she said.
According to event officials, the participating organizations and planned activities include:
- Summa Health System will show how physical activity can be fun with an exercise wheel.
- The Akron Zoomobile will present live animals.
- Akron Children’s Hospital Genetic Center will offer an opportunity to make a family tree.
- The Summit County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board will provide information about stress management.
- Freedman Clinic will offer back analysis.
- Girls on the Run of Greater Summit County will host a tiara decorating activity.
- Music Together will present interactive music demonstrations.
- The Akron-Summit County Public Library will discuss its electronic health services.
- Summit County Public Health will discuss First Things First and Help Me Grow programs.
- Guardians Advocating Child Safety and Protection will create identification kits for children.
- The ETC School of Musical Arts will perform.
Also, visitors to the expo can meet on-air personalities and Spin the Wheel for giveaways from Rubber City Radio Group and visit with the Akron RubberDucks and the Metro Parks, Serving Summit County mascots.
Other organizations scheduled to participate in the expo include: Child Guidance and Family Solutions, The Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation, Summit County Children Services, Jewish Family Service and The Lippman School.
Admission to the expo is free, as are all the activities, and it is open to the public.
For more details, visit www.shawjcc.org, click on “Special Events,” then “Overview” to access information on the Family Wellness Expo.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
Calendar of Events
- Play and Stay Friday - 1/20/2017
- 11th Annual Chili Challenge to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital’s Burn Unit - 1/20/2017
- Silly Fridays: Create Your Own Crystal Garden - 1/20/2017
- Homeschoolers: The Power of Poison: ages 11-14 - 1/20/2017
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017