West Side Education News & Notes
Arrowhead PTA creates fund for Nature Zone
COPLEY — A new endowment fund established by Arrowhead Primary School’s PTA through the Akron Community Foundation (ACF) will support the school’s Nature Zone throughout the coming years.
The fund was launched with just more than $10,000, nearly double the minimum required to create a fund with the ACF, according to school PTA officials. The goal is for the PTA to add money to that fund each year, for the investment to grow, and to ultimately provide enough income to fund all of the Nature Zone’s activities each year.
The endowment was funded through a student walk in the spring that raised several thousand dollars, a $5,000 gift from one family and $1,000 from the Summit County Farm Bureau.
The drive to create the fund was highlighted at an Earth Day event April 20 in which the school held an open house with tours of the facility given by fourth-graders and appetizers created by Chef Dante’ Boccuzzi, of restaurant DBA, using herbs, produce and eggs raised by Arrowhead students.
The Nature Zone consists of a greenhouse, wetlands, a garden for each class, a chicken coop and more, all of which school officials said teaches children to appreciate gardening and personally experience the source of their food.
Activities take place all year. All funding comes through the PTA, grants and donations, and all work is done by volunteers.
Arrowhead PTA officials said they are appreciative of the support the Nature Zone has received from the community, the Copley-Fairlawn City School District administration and the ACF to create the fund.
Donations are still being accepted at www.akroncf.org/give/ArrowheadFund.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Education News
- New Woodridge school taking shape on planning board
- Highland teacher, community member recognized at ceremony
- Stark State to build Akron campus near state Route 8
- Annual cookie sale to benefit King CLC
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester board OKs new grading scale
- Chapel Hill Christian School student wins contest
- Green school board approves five-year forecast
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramics - 5/24/2016
- Akron History: Glendale Cemetery - 5/24/2016
- Cardio Hike - 5/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016