ACESS honors local students, schools, engineer
SOUTH AKRON — The Akron Council of Engineering & Scientific Societies (ACESS) honored outstanding local science and math high school students at the ACESS Honors & Awards Banquet Nov. 7 at Guy’s Party Centre.
The 66th annual event is part of ACESS’ mission to promote education in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
Certificates of Achievement will be given to the best science and math students in area high schools. Science Fair winners will also be given certificates. Grants will be given to kindergarten-through-12th-grade science teachers. STEM scholarships will be given to students at The University of Akron and Kent State University.
Students in area high schools also will have the chance to meet with representatives of area colleges.
In the West Side Leader’s coverage area, the following honors will be recognized:
Akron Outstanding High School Science/Math Students
- Akron Early College High School — Daniel Mesenger and Ryan Hubbard;
- Buchtel High School — Kiyana Gable and Kevin Lewis; and
- Firestone High School — Isabella Sabatina and Corbin Gearhart.
Summit Outstanding High School Science/Math Students
- Copley-Fairlawn High School — Kerry Crowley and Eric Hemphill;
- Norton High School — Olivia Bennett and Hunter Blevins;
- Revere High School — Sydney Katz and Erik Goddard; and
- Woodridge High School — Erin Kiley and Brian Cooper.
Parochial/Private Outstanding High School Science/Math Students
- Archbishop Hoban High School — Malinda Baer and Travis Pero;
- Walsh Jesuit High School — Seon Jeon and Carter Carlos;
- St. Vincent-St. Mary High School (STVM) — Ann Graft and Derek Whiddon; and
- Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy — Taylor Dittrich and Ryan Hall.
Science Fair Winner
- Best of Show Akron Science & Technology Expo, Middle School, Jan. 26, 2013 — Benjamin Pontius, Miller South School of the Visual & Performing Arts, currently in eighth grade. Project title: “Mobile Bicycle Generator for a Hand Held Device”; adviser: Tina Lattimer;
- Best of Show Akron Science & Technology Expo, High School, Jan. 26, 2013 — Alena Veigl, Firestone, currently in 11th grade. Project title: “How Temperature and Time Affect the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide”; adviser: Edward Cauffield; and
- Best of Show 65th Western Reserve District 5 Science Day, High School, March 16, 2013 — Derek Whiddon, STVM, currently in 12th grade. Project title: “Finding the Most Effective Percent Composition of Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Polymer Nanofibers to Yield Bacterial Resistance.”
ACESS Grant Winners
Seven $500 awards will be given: one ACESS grant, two ACESS/OMNOVA recognitions and four ACESS/EXXONMOBIL recognitions. In the West Side Leader’s coverage area, winners were:
- Project name: “Who Dunnit?: Using Gel Electrophoresis to Determine the Perpetrator of a ‘Crime Scene’” (ACESS/OMNOVA grant), National Inventors Hall of Fame STEM High School; teacher: Cassandra Hanna;
- Project name: “Problem Solvers Club” (ACESS/ExxonMobil grant), Greater Summit County Early Learning Center; teacher: Debbie Dodson;
- Project name: “Why Wednesday?” (ACESS/OMNOVA grant), Seiberling Elementary School and Miller South; teacher: Diane Fuller and Karen Hazlett; and
- Project name: “First in Math” (ACESS/ExxonMobil grant), Miller South; teacher: Laura Sherman.
- Bridgestone Americas/ACESS Scholarship Award — Kriston Cline, The University of Akron (UA), electronic engineering technologies, will receive a certificate and a $1,500 award; and
- OMNOVA/ACESS Scholarship Award — Timothy Moneypenny, UA, chemistry, will receive a certificate and a $2,500 award.
The purpose of this award is to give recognition to a person, who through time has served ACESS and a member society of ACESS with exemplary voluntary services. The award will be given to Gregg Loesch, of the city of Akron’s Department of Public Service.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- “Industrial Valley” - 10/24/2016
- B4 Bed: Stories for Adults - 10/24/2016
- Cardio Hike - 10/24/2016
- Succulent Barn Wood Centerpiece Workshop; Succulent Pumpkin Centerpiece Workshop - 10/25/2016
- Collage 2016 - 10/26/2016