West Side Cause for Celebration
Akron Blind Center
SOUTH AKRON — The Akron Blind Center will host its annual White Cane Walk Sept. 21 at Firestone Park Community Center, 1480 Girard St. This year’s event is dedicated to Phyllis Cottle, a longtime member of the center who died earlier this year. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. T.K. O’Grady, WONE radio personality, will be the master of ceremonies. The local group Martha’s Mistake will entertain at a picnic lunch. The event will include a walk around the park while blindfolded and using a white cane. Several stations will be set up to experience some of the things that blind and visually impaired people do every day. There also will be raffles. Call 330-253-2555 for details and more information. Donations are appreciated.
Akron Children’s Hospital
WEST AKRON — The seventh annual Walk for Babies event will begin at 9 a.m. Sept. 22 at the Akron Zoo. Walk for Babies features a 1-mile walking path that begins in the parking lot and winds through the exhibits. The walk is family friendly, and proceeds will benefit the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Akron Children’s Hospital. The event also features a raffle, lunch and giveaways for children. To register for the walk, learn more about the event or donate, visit www.walk4babies.com.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul Cleveland
RICHFIELD — The Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) Cleveland will host the Second Annual Friends of the Poor® Walk Sept. 28 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Richfield Woods Park. The paved route is less than 1 mile and is family-friendly to accommodate strollers, wheelchairs and individuals of all ages. All funds raised locally will be utilized to help Northeast Ohio residents, according to organizers. Registration and parking are free, and participants will receive a T-shirt, water bottle, refreshments and various prizes. To participate or donate, register online at www.fopwalk.org. For details, call 216-696-6525, ext. 3150.
More Entertainment News
- Coach House staging hit in ‘Lend Me a Tenor’
- Mothersbaugh exhibit a lighthearted display of artist’s world view
- Zenith Awards, golf tournament mark Travel & Tourism Week
- Public invited to take part in BioBlitz
- Medina County historical sites on tour
- Gallery hosts exhibit of APS student art
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramics - 5/24/2016
- Akron History: Glendale Cemetery - 5/24/2016
- Cardio Hike - 5/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016