Mum Fest to include tribute to American Indians
|This year’s Barberton Mum Fest will feature a representation of the Serpent Mound in flowers and activities during the festival.|
|Photo courtesy of Elwood Palmer|
The 23rd annual Mum Fest, set for Sept. 28-29 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. around Lake Anna Park, will feature 20,000 chrysanthemums in 21 varieties to create more than a millions blooms, according to event organizers. The mums, donated by Aris Horticultural Services, will be set up in colorful displays and collages. The festival is a cooperative effort involving the city of Barberton Beautification Program, Aris Horticultural Services and the Barberton Community Foundation, according to event organizers.
The floral displays will provide a backdrop for free family-oriented activities, according to event organizers. These activities will include live entertainment, arts and crafts, children’s activities, gardening tips and food vendors. Also planned are log and ice carvings, magic shows, vegetable carvings, canoe races on Lake Anna, roving entertainers, sand sculpting and balloon art.
The event’s focus this year will be on American Indians and will include performances by the Red Bird Drum and Dancers on Saturday at 1:15 and 3:30 p.m. and Sunday at 12:15 and 3:15 p.m. The public will be invited to join the dance circle, and children will be invited to be part of the Candy Dance.
Also, a flint napper will demonstrate how American Indians made arrowheads, tools and other items, and an American Indian beader will demonstrate beading and other crafts.
Returning to Mum Fest this year will be performances by the ETC Children’s Choir on Saturday at 2 p.m. and New Horizons band Sunday at 1 p.m. Water ski shows featuring the Chippewa Lake Water Ski Show team will take place Saturday at 12:15, 2:45 and 4:30 p.m. and Sunday at 11:30 a.m. and 2:15 and 4 p.m.
Also returning will be a silent auction to benefit the Barberton Kiwanis Club on Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. at the Masonic Temple, located at 107 Fifth St.
In addition, the Barberton Public Library, 602 W. Park Ave., will host a library book sale Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5:30 p.m.
Lakeview United Methodist Church, 211 Third St. N.W., will offer a Swiss steak dinner from noon to 5 p.m. Other food vendors will sell various items throughout the festival.
For a complete list of activities, visit www.cityofbarberton.com and click on Mum Festival under “Upcoming Events.”
Potted mums and hanging baskets of mums will be available for purchase at the event. Admission to Mum Fest is free.
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane Playhouse staging ‘successful’ ‘Unnecessary Farce’
- Akron native James III blends stories, impressions in new show
- KNR raises $20,000 for Rape Crisis Center
- Princesses, heroes highlight of Family Expo
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Child & Family Awareness Month contest winners announced
- Taste of Coventry raising funds for new playground
- Green High School students among contest winners
- Green PTA Reflections winners recognized
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Greetings from Akron, Ohio Postcard Show and Benefit Auction - 5/3/2015
- Hudson Stamp Show - 5/3/2015
- Arlo Guthrie - 5/3/2015
- Ballet Theatre of Ohio’s “Sleeping Beauty” - 5/3/2015
- Nurture Through Nature: De-stress - 5/3/2015