South Side Cause for Celebration
Akron Blind Center
SOUTH AKRON — The Akron Blind Center will host its annual White Cane Walk Sept. 21 at Firestone Park Community Center, 1480 Girard St. This year’s event is dedicated to Phyllis Cottle, a longtime member of the center who died earlier this year. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. T.K. O’Grady, WONE radio personality, will be the master of ceremonies. The local group Martha’s Mistake will entertain at a picnic lunch. The event will include a walk around the park while blindfolded and using a white cane. Several stations will be set up to experience some of the things that blind and visually impaired people do every day. There also will be raffles. Call 330-253-2555 for details and more information. Donations are appreciated.
Akron Children’s Hospital
AKRON — The seventh annual Walk for Babies event will begin at 9 a.m. Sept. 22 at the Akron Zoo. Walk for Babies features a 1-mile walking path that begins in the parking lot and winds through the exhibits. The walk is family friendly, and proceeds will benefit the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Akron Children’s Hospital. The event also features a raffle, lunch and giveaways for children. Community members can register for the walk, learn more about the event and donate at www.walk4babies.com.
Brace Against Hunger 5K Run/Walk
CANTON — Registration continues for the inaugural Brace Against Hunger 5K Run/Walk, set for Sept. 22 at 9 a.m. The event starts and finishes in front of Gervasi Vineyard at 1700 55th St. N.E. and will follow Stark Park’s Scenic Middle Branch Trail. Race-day registration will begin at 7:30 a.m., rain or shine. Registration is $30 if completed by today, Sept. 20, and $35 on race day. To register online, visit www.rsracingsystems.com and click on the event. A family fun fair on the Villa Grande lawn will follow the race, with raffles and prizes, music, refreshments and activities from 9:30 a.m. to noon. Visitors also can purchase a chance to win a 2014 Impala donated by Progressive Chevrolet. An awards ceremony will take place at 10:30 a.m. Strollers or pets are not allowed in the run or walk. All entry fees are nonrefundable. All proceeds will go directly to the Stark County Hunger Task Force, according to organizers. For more information, contact Amy Weisbrod at email@example.com or 330-455-6667 or visit www.starkhunger.org.
More Entertainment News
- Coach House staging hit in ‘Lend Me a Tenor’
- Mothersbaugh exhibit a lighthearted display of artist’s world view
- Zenith Awards, golf tournament mark Travel & Tourism Week
- Public invited to take part in BioBlitz
- Medina County historical sites on tour
- Gallery hosts exhibit of APS student art
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016