Music continues to flow from Springfield
|Springfield Township will kick off its free Friday evening summer concert series June 11 at the Bicentennial Gazebo at Springfield Lake Park. Shown here is an Elvis concert in August 2009.|
|Photo: Krista Galloway|
“Attendance for our first concerts [last year] attracted over 6,000 enjoying safe, free family entertainment,” said Yvette Davidson, Springfield Township events consultant.
The family-oriented concert series will again entertain with a wide range of music — from rock to country to golden oldies. The picturesque setting also provides a perfect place to enjoy a family picnic while listening to the sweet sounds of live bands, according to township officials.
Families are invited to bring a basket of food and a lawn chair or a blanket to spread out on the grass. Boaters can enjoy the sounds of the concert from the lake.
Food and beverages will be sold for reasonable prices during the concerts, according to township officials. Alcohol and pets will not be permitted on the premises, and shirts and shoes are required.
The concerts are funded by the township and through donations from area businesses. In addition, “I support the summer concerts” buttons will be sold for $5 each at the concerts.
“Sponsors play a crucial role in our success,” said Davidson. “Our resources, budgets and tax dollars are limited in this current economy.”
Donations, accepted for the summer concert series or for Rock the Docks events July 16-18, are tax deductible. A check made out to Springfield Township can be mailed to Boyd Esler Springfield Senior/Community Center, 2491 Canfield Road, Akron, OH 44312.
The Friday concerts will be at 7 p.m., with free parking.
The band schedule includes:
• June 11, Revolution Pie (Beatles tunes)
• June 18, Power Company (classic hits)
• June 25, The Prowlers with Gary Shreive (Elvis favorites)
• July 2, Marshall Law Band (country greats)
• July 9, Greased Lightning (rock ‘n’ roll oldies)
• July 16-18, Rock the Docks events (visit www.rockthedocks.info or call the Boyd Esler Senior/Community Center at 330-733-2556 for details)
• July 23, Rudy & the Professionals (island music)
• July 30, 45 RPM Band (music from 1950s to 1970s)
• Aug. 6, Remember When (classic 1950s and ’60s music)
Township officials also have set aside Aug. 13 as a rain date for any concert that may be canceled due to inclement weather. For the latest information about cancellations, call the concert hotline at 330-794-1739.
Also, preceding each concert at 5:30 p.m. and set up along Canfield Road will be the Springfield Township Farmers and Artists Marketplace, which runs June 11 through October. The market will offer fresh produce, fruit, flowers, cheese, syrups, jams and baked goods, as well as original artwork and items from home-based businesses.
For more details or to participate in the market, contact Teri Fretz at 330-414-7438 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- “Dumb and Dumber To” - 5/28/2015
- Gordon Lightfoot - 5/28/2015
- Hearing Loss Support Group - 5/28/2015
- Computer Keyboard Basics, eLearning the Easy Way & Excel Basics - 5/28/2015
- Women’s Art League of Akron Member Show - 5/28/2015