E-HEAP program accepting requests for assistance
GREATER AKRON — Akron Summit Community Action Inc. (ASCA) will administer the Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program (E-HEAP) for the 2010 Winter Crisis Program under contract with the Ohio Department of Development.
E-HEAP assists low-income households threatened with a utility shut-off notice or that have run out of bulk fuel, such as oil or propane.
The Winter Crisis Program will begin Nov. 1, and eligible Summit County residents can begin calling the toll-free appointment line Oct. 25 at 866-504-7400.
Also Nov. 1, scheduling for walk-ins will be available for customers whose service has been shut off at the 670 W. Exchange St. office between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis.
• pay up to $175 for people whose utility service has been disconnected or needs to be transferred;
• pay up to $175 for people with a disconnection notice from their gas and/or electric utility company; or
• pay up to $600 to fill a tank for people who have less than a 25 percent supply of bulk fuel.
The income eligibility guidelines for the E-HEAP program are $21,660 for a household of one; $29,140 for two; $36,620 for three; $44,100 for four; $51,580 for five; and $59,060 for six. Households with more than six members should add $7,480 to the yearly income.
E-HEAP applicants must bring documentation to verify their total household income for the immediate past three months; report Social Security numbers and birthdates for all people in the household; provide landlord’s name, address and phone number if renting; and show proof of an emergency situation with disconnection notices on utility bills, turn-on orders or, in the case of bulk fuel, a less than 25 percent supply.
A household can apply for E-HEAP only once between Nov. 1 and March 31.
The private nonprofit ASCA has operated E-HEAP since 1984. During the 2010 season, 10,335 households in Summit County received emergency assistance and utility payments totaling more than $1.14 million.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 5/27/2015
- Anime Club - 5/27/2015
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 12-18 - 5/27/2015
- Meet Me in the Garden: Plant and Insect Photography - 5/27/2015